The Our Founding Order of New Brighton Catholic – Mary Immaculate – Please select the link to find out more about the founding order of NBC.

RNDMs at NBC

The Our Founding Order of
New Brighton Catholic – Mary Immaculate

page1image1683600352

The Sisters of Our Lady of the Missions began teaching in New Brighton in 1935. Each day they travelled by bus from their Convent in Ferry Rd where the first Sisters lived.
They came to Christchurch, from France and established their first Mission in the Diocese of Christchurch in 1868.
From 1962 to 1992 the Sisters at New Brighton lived in the Convent in Lonsdale Street, across the street from the school.

The Congregation of the Sisters of our Lady of the Missions , known in religious life as Marie du Coeur de Jésus, was founded in Lyon, France, in 1861 by Euphrasie Barbier.

The first Sisters of Our Lady of the Missions to come to New Zealand from France arrived in Napier in 1865 to devote themselves to “the instruction and Christian education of women and children; take care of these children.” (Euphrasie Barbier).

EUPHRASIE BARBIER

Adèle-Euphrasie Barbier, was born on 4th January 1829, in Caen, France. The family had a strong faith and her parents instilled into their young family the values of honesty and hard work.

The Missionary Spirit which brought the Sisters to New Brighton was based on:
Contemplation

– to pray together

Communion

– to share with each other

Mission

– to care for the less fortunate in our world

Visit their website to be inspired by the works around the world that the RMDN sisters do .

https://www.rndm.org/